Paperclip Jungle

A collection of office rants...a glimpse at the adventures within my Land of Cubicles.

Friday, September 01, 2006

Is This a Dis?

As I mentioned in a previous post, I have accepted a new position within the company. I've been working in this position for a few weeks now.

While I generally got along well with everyone on my previous staff, there was one supervisor in particular, Julie, with whom I had an especially good working relationship. We worked together productively, we were able to discuss issues candidly, and we seemed to connect well on a personal level. After difficult conversations, she would occasionally comment on how thankful she was to have a manager she could trust and be honest with. I genuinely believed that the feeling was mutual.

Of everyone in my group, she seemed to be the most upset about my changing positions. Shortly after the big announcement was made, she was quick to compliment me as a mentor and express her concern over what changes might take place after I leave.

Despite all this, it now seems that she is glad to have me out of her hair.

1. The day after I announced my departure, a couple folks within my group organized a going away bash for me at a local pub. Nearly everyone within my department was there...except for Julie...even though she had told everyone she planned to go.

2. Julie's birthday was a few days after I officially transferred. I stopped by the department twice that day to wish her a happy birthday, but she wasn't at her desk either time. Toward the end of the day, I left her card on her desk with a note. I never heard from her.

3. Nearly all of my former direct reports have stopped down at my new desk at some point to briefly say hi and see how things are going. I have not seen Julie.

4. Based on comments made in conversations with co-workers, I know for a fact that Julie has been at work every day.

Quite frankly, this really isn't a big deal. While I always felt we worked well together, we were never friends outside of work. It just strikes me as a bit odd. But perhaps I'm reading too much into the whole thing.

10 Comments:

At 5:49 PM, Blogger Cupcake Blonde said...

Some people are really out of sight out of mind people. If they don't see you every day they forget about you. This happened at my old work when I left for my new job. Here I was so close to these people for over two years and I never heard from them again, even though I repeatedly called and messaged them. Nothing. I didn't work there anymore so I wasn't worth wasting time. I guess people have a different idea about what work friend means.

 
At 11:15 PM, Blogger Mob said...

If I were you, I'd be agitated, but I'm the type of person to take anything personally, so who knows?

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger GrizzBabe said...

I'm having a hard time figuring out the motivation behind Julie's actions. Maybe you weren't as close as you initially thought; maybe she is a brown noser and she's too busy kissing the a$$ of her new boss; maybe she's just bad at keeping in touch. I'm not sure. It's very curious though.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger A. Marigold said...

Maybe she's just more upset than you thought she'd be?

That is strange. Congrats on your move though.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

I'm with you, it is strange. Try not to let it bother you too much and maintain the status quo. It will probably come out later. Congratualtions!

 
At 8:27 PM, Blogger [] said...

Ditto vegas princess. That or she's just pissed you left her behind.

 
At 10:33 PM, Blogger MsPinkSlip said...

She may have been working you the whole time. Many (smart) people are very good at altering their style to compliment their supervisor. Now that you have moved on, she might feel there is nothing to be gained by continuing a relationship with you. That is a stupid decision but it happens. Don't take it personally.

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Maxine Dangerous said...

Land of cubicles ... I like it. :)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger The Ambiguous Blob said...

She is probably madly in love with you and her heart is broken that you left her. She's most likely crying in her cubicle right this minute- go look. You'll see.

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Old Lady said...

Hey you have been Tagged

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Traffic Counters
Personal Ads