Paperclip Jungle

A collection of office rants...a glimpse at the adventures within my Land of Cubicles.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

She Has No Inner Monologue

As I mentioned in a previous post, we've been doing some remodeling in our building. I'm back in my usual spot; however, I've had a couple of visitors stationed near me while their area is worked on.

My most recent visitor was Michelle. A former co-worker, who also became a good friend of mine, used to share her cube with Michelle...and she was constantly going on and on and on and on and on about how annoying she was. I've never worked closely with Michelle, but I have worked with her somewhat on projects. I've always really liked her...she's very energetic and fun.

But now I know what my friend meant. Michelle, apparently, has no inner-monologue. Every few minutes, she makes a comment out loud about something she's just read or is working on. And it's not one of those rhetorical comments that you can acknowledge with a chuckle or a grunt and move on.

After making a comment, she'll glance around her monitor and stare at you until you make a comment in response. And if it's a thoughtless "uh-huh" type comment, she'll keep staring at you as though she's looking for more.

You can't simply ignore it either. If you act like you didn't hear the comment, she says it again. And with more emphasis.

And she does it SO often! Throughout the day...literally, several times an hour.

How my friend was able to get anything done, and maintain her sanity, is beyond me.

5 Comments:

At 1:58 PM, Blogger Nick said...

I couldn't imagine being the same cube or office with that. I have a guy in the office across the hall that whistles all the time. He says he doesn't even realize it. We keep offering him crackers but he won't eat them too often.

 
At 5:44 AM, Blogger MsPinkSlip said...

People like that make others wish for an office.

 
At 9:36 AM, Blogger tempgirl said...

What kind of things does she say?

 
At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good question! What does she say? Is she asking for sex advice or blurting out sales figures? That makes all the difference.

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger Mob said...

I worked with a girl like that, I finally had to ask her if silence frightened her or something, because she literally had to let fly with anything that popped into her head.

She eventually moved to Florida, thank God.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Traffic Counters
Personal Ads