Paperclip Jungle

A collection of office rants...a glimpse at the adventures within my Land of Cubicles.

Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Interviewing Faux Pas

I do a lot of hiring and interviewing in my job. The jobs are entry level, but in a professional setting. This is my WTF list.

1. Wearing tennis shoes and sweat pants.

2. Leaving the tags on a new business suit - oops!

3. Telling me that the position I'm hiring for sounds really easy.

4. Before interview actually begins, asking, "How much vacation time do you offer?"

5. Saying, "I've never needed to be organized in my other positions, but I'm sure I would manage."

6. Adding, "Yep. It's true," or, "uh-huh, that really happened," after almost every answer.

7. Asking how you're doing every five minutes.

8. Expressing obvious annoyance in a voicemail message left for me at the fact that I didn't call with an update on our hiring status by the end of the week.

9. Emailing me every two days to ask whether we've made a hiring decision...despite the fact that I've already said that it would be at least a week. I need to stop handing out my business card!

10. Inquiring about how old I am (I look much younger than I am...great for the social life, challenging for the career).

This is just off the top of my head. I'm sure I'll think of others as I try to sleep tonight.

4 Comments:

At 6:01 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Hi,
I like the one regarding the tags on the suit. Luckily, I've never done that but I've seen it.
By the way, you should see the "nice" arm tattoo that our new hire is showing off today.

 
At 9:47 PM, Blogger MsPinkSlip said...

Your list brought back some funny memories. I'll be back to read the rest.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Conqueress said...

Don't forget the "I'm going to chew some gum to freshen my breath and offer some to you so you think I'm nice." I've had people do that twice for office position interviews!!!

 
At 9:44 PM, Blogger Boldly Serving Up Wheat Grass said...

Yeah, but these are all young whippersnappers, right? I just happened across your blog after posting a little HR-related rant of my own. However, I think I'd be your worst nightmare if I was up for one of those positions. Still, I enjoyed reading your stuff. -PH

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Site Traffic Counters
Personal Ads